Abe: Senate committee in Rivers to probe lawmaker’s attack

house of senate

house of senate

Members of the Senate Committee on Police   yesterday  arrived in Port Harcourt, Rivers State to investigate the crisis which led to the alleged shooting  of the senator representing Rivers South-East, Mr. Magnus  Ngei Abe.
The committee will  investigate  teargas and rubber bullets attack by the police and present its report to the National Assembly.
Chairman of the committee, Senator Igwe Paulinus Wagwu, disclosed this to newsmen in Port Harcourt when he led other members to visit Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.
Senator Wagwu said: “We are here in Rivers State to carry out fact-finding on the incident that happened last Sunday, where it was alleged that the police shot teargas and rubber bullets, which incidentally, also affected Senator Magnus Abe. We have not concluded our investigation yet, when we have concluded our investigation, we will submit our report to the National Assembly for their deliberation and resolution on the matter.”
On the delay in the redeployment of the state Police Commissioner, Mr. Mbu Joseph Mbu, Senator Wagwu said the National Assembly had stated its position on his immediate transfer, but regretted that the matter involving the state police commissioner was still in court and prayed that justice be done.
Senator Wagwu  had earlier told the Chief of Staff, Government House, Port Harcourt, Chief Tony Okocha, that they were in the state to find out what transpired, the level of police participation, and the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Okocha  narrated  how the Save Rivers Movement informed the police in writing  of its intention to organize a rally in support of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the Obio-Akpor Chapter.
He said  the event was to be held at the premises of the Rivers State College of Arts and Science Rumuola in Port Harcourt, after holding similar rallies in Eleme, Asari-Toru, Opobo-Nkoro and others.
He said:  “On Saturday evening, being January 11, 2014, I was at the premises of Rivers State College of Arts and Science, Rumuola, where the stage for the rally was set and we expected that the following morning, being Sunday, the rally will hold as planned by the Save Rivers Movement.
“On Sunday morning, as early as 6am, my phone rang and the caller said the police, about five troopers, had besieged the premises and dismantled the canopies, chairs and tables arranged for the event, while teargas was shot to disperse the crowd that morning.
“When I got to the venue, I saw crowd of policemen, including three Armoured Personnel Carriers (APC), and also saw how the venue was upturned by the police. It was not too long I met Senator Magnus Abe, and the police continued the shooting of teargas and rubber bullets. One of the rubber bullets hit me on the left arm of my leg and also touched Senator Abe, right now, I can’t walk properly,” he said.


Contact: editor@pacetv.ngShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Digg thisPin on PinterestEmail this to someonePrint this page