England manager Roy Hodgson on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of former captain John Terry coming out of retirement to play for his country at this year’s World Cup.
Terry, 33, retired from international football in September 2012 after the Football Association charged him with racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand during a Premier League game for Chelsea, Reuters reports.
He had previously been cleared of racially abusing Ferdinand at a criminal trial and said that the FA’s decision to pursue charges against him made his position “untenable.”
He was later banned for four games by the FA over the incident and fined £220,000.
England qualified for the World Cup without Terry, conceding only four goals in the process, but his commanding performances for Chelsea this season have prompted calls in the media for Hodgson to reinstate him.
Terry has formed a strong partnership in central defence with current England international Gary Cahill, but Hodgson does not intend to ask him to make the trip to Brazil for the World Cup.
“John has retired and as far as I am concerned, that is the situation,” Hodgson told journalists during a briefing at Wembley Stadium.
“We have got along without him for the whole of the qualification and quite a few friendly matches as well, so we will have to get along without him in the future.”
Terry last played for England in their opening World Cup qualifier in September 2012 — a 5-0 win away to Moldova — and his career seemed to be on the wane after he lost his first-team place at Chelsea last sea