A ruptured pipeline, which caused a Lagos State community to be flooded with petrol, has made many apprehensive residents to relocate.
PACETV Metro had reported on Monday that Ijegun, a suburb of Lagos around Satellite Town, had been flooded with petrol after a pipeline belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation ruptured.
Our correspondent learnt that the place had remained flooded for four days as NNPC officials were unable to repair the ruptured spot.
It was learnt that fumes of petrol pervaded the area, causing fear among residents that a fire could break out soon.
A trader, Mercy Okafor, said, “Since the pipe burst on Saturday, I have been afraid that anything could happen. My two children and I have relocated to Navy Town. Hopefully, our relocation will be temporary.”
Another resident, who declined to give his name, said apart from the fear of a fire outbreak, the odour coming from the area was nauseating.
“The whole place is smelling and I could not even sleep. I have been staying in my shop since Monday,” he said.
The spokesperson, National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, advised residents not to cook or attempt to scoop fuel.
“We have told them not to cook and not to scoop fuel because anything could make that whole place go aflame. Most of the residents who have children have relocated and we also advise that children should be taken away for now,” he said.
Our correspondent learnt that as of 4pm on Tuesday, the pipelines were still leaking.
The General Manager, Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Dr. Omar Ibrahim, said was the spillage was caused by pipeline vandals.
He said, “Lately we have been experiencing a rise in the incidents of pipeline vandalism on the Ijegun section of our pipeline and doing our best to fix them as soon as they are noticed. In this month alone, we have located and fixed 73 ruptured points on that Mosimi – Ijegun – Atlas Cove line.”
“Despite the difficult nature of the terrain, our engineers are working relentlessly to fix the damaged line. They are doing everything to contain the spill and stop it from spreading to cause more environmental damage. Members of the public shoulfd not go near the area for safety reasons.”