Military authorities in Borno State yesterday placed a 48-hour ban on all vehicular movement in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, as a measure to prevent any possible attack on the city by Boko Haram terrorists.
The decision to impose the curfew came after a security council meeting the governor had with all security chiefs, with the Shehu of Borno, His Royal Highness, Abubakar Garbai ibn Elkanemi, in attendance at Government House, Maiduguri.
It was feared that the Boko Haram terrorists, just as they had planned during the Eid-ul Fitri celebration, might want to attack the city using vehicle laden with explosive devices during Sunday’s Eid-ul Kabir celebration.
In a statement signed and issued by the deputy director, Defence Information, Colonel Sani Usman, the military said the restrictions on vehicular movement would commence on Friday by 5pm and end at 7pm on Sunday, October 5.
The statement said all persons, except those on essential services, must comply with strict adherence as violators would be dealt with decisively.
Colonel Usman assured the residents of the division’s commitment to protect lives and property during and after the expiration of the 48-hour restriction.
Though the ban left the residents unhappy, most of them said they had already preempted the development and had since Monday commenced panic purchase of items needed for Eid celebration. ATM galleries at various banks were swarmed by residents who rushed to make withdrawals.