We’re studying Shekau’s video -DHQ

0
14

The Defence Headquarters said on Thursday it was studying the claims made in a video purportedly released by terrorists showing their leader, Abubakar Shekau dismissing his death.

A statement posted in the DHQ website said from immediate observation, the video did not indicate when it was shot and any proof “of life or currency such as screen time or date”.

“The video also did not make any reference to anything that has happened since the impostor’s reported death,” it said.

The statement noted that air plane mentioned in the video had been missing before he (Shekau) was killed.

It said, “It should not surprise anybody if the terrorists decide to manipulate pictures, clone another Shekau or upload a pre-recorded video all in a bid to prove invincible.

“As far as we are concerned, the individual who was appearing in video and claiming to be the leader of the terrorist group was killed in the Kondunga battle in September.

“The resemblance of the corpse and that of the eccentric character was incontrovertible. His identity was equally corroborated by people who knew him before we announced his death.”

The statement restated that justice would be served to whoever bore that name or designation and whoever engaged in any act of terror.

It will be recalled that the DHQ confirmed the death of Mohammed Bashir alias Abubakar Shekau on Sept. 24, saying he was killed in an operation in Konduga.

Director, Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, who confirmed it, had vowed that the military would serve justice to whoever bore that name or designation.

Contact: editor@pacetv.ngShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Digg thisPin on PinterestEmail this to someonePrint this page